I am the voice and creator of everything Raven’s Thyme, where everything is designed and handcrafted by me, unless stated otherwise. I’m so happy you are here!
My name is Sheila Lynn Murphy – Granfors. I am a Textile Artisan who also enjoys working in mixed media. Some are puzzled by that explanation. Which simply means that I work with a variety of fabrics such as: upholstery fabrics, cottons, vintage fabrics and linens, wool, upcycled clothing, blankets, coverlets and coats. All of these are textiles. My creations are often combined with vintage buttons, lace, trims, some new, some vintage to create great treasures. Many also include vintage items such as pewter candlesticks as bases for a make do or doll base.
For many years my focus was primitive Stitchery, Wool appliqué and penny rugs. My horizon has expanded through using upcycled goods to create one of a kind goods, now the possibilities are endless.
Now I’m looking forward to challenging myself to expand my boundaries in my creative designs and writing ventures.
When time allows these 10 fingers have a blast with paper mache and painting. In most every area, I am self taught including stained glass, quilting, stenciling, macrame and paper mache.
As For A Bio-
- I Hold an AA in Art and an AA in Marketing.
- Numerous Certificates from Small Business Extended Learning Classes in CT and CA.
- Managed a Crafter’s Outlet, Raspberry Junction in the early 1990’s which included jurying hundreds of artisans and crafters, as well as interior display designs.
- Developed and Implemented workshops specifically for crafters on Display, Presentation and Marketing.
- Consulted with and wrote newsletters, flyers and postcards for Crafters outlets.
- Attended many open house events to meet customers, demonstrate my craft of making penny rugs as well as teaching classes.
- Exhibited at numerous craft shows since 1979 from time to time.
- Developed and Instructed Adult Education Classes for Beginner and Intermediate Sewing and Floral Design.
- Taught classes at local fabric/craft stores.
- Began a Woman’s Ministry, obtained speakers, scheduled and conducted monthly meetings. As well as being a Missionettes Leader.
- Started a Quilting Ministry for Organ Donor Families, which later was turned over to my mother, which still continues today.
- Have spoken on topics relating to Artisans, Faith, and becoming a Organ Donor.
- Hobbies include the joy of cooking, Pinterest, being close to nature, bird watching and naps when possible.
Someday I hope to attend The John C. Campbell School to learn weaving, silver jewelry making, and finally learn how to make a ribbed basket. That basket has driven me nuts! I’ve made dozens of baskets, but those ribs end up flying across the room! Actually I could live there an entire season to just learn and craft. What a heavenly experience that will be. I look forward to it!
Now that I’ve been introduced, please explore my website, and blog www.upcyclyed-joy.com where the stories are told. Feedback is always welcome.
Please sign up to be on the mailing list where you will be kept up to date on new releases and events.